Fish Union Crab Omelette
A really lovely brunch dish from the NEW Fish Union Sunday brunch menuthat’s easy to knock up and adds some luxury to a simple omelette.
For the omelette
- 12 whole eggs
- 2 dressed crabs (available in our fishmonger) (160gm Brown meat and 80gm white meat)
- 80 mls double cream
- 100 gms unsalted butter for cooking
- 50 gms butter
- Lemon wedges
- 2 kg mirepoix (including fennel)
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 3 star anise
- 10 g thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Herb stalks (not coriander)
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 250 g tomato puree
- 1 tbsp saffron strands
- 5 kg shellfish bones, washed and roughly chopped
- 8-10 litres fish stock
- Tops of spring onion sliced thinly
- Chopped chives
- Separate the brown meat from the white meat and reservein separate bowls
- Break the eggs into a bowl, add the cream and browncrab meat, do not season!
- Blend the crab, eggs and cream together with a stickblender
- Divide the mixture between 4 bowls equally
- In a small saucepan add the shellfish reduction andslowly bring to the boil, whisking in 50gms of butter
- Meanwhile take 25 gms of butter and melt in a thickbottomed, non stick frying pan, per omelette
- Season the egg mix and ladle in ¼ of the mix, pullingin from the outside of the pan. The omelette will cook quickly at this stage, so move fast.
- When slightly undercooked, theFrench call this baveuse, fold the omelette in on itself to form a cigar shape. Don’t worry, the omelette will continue to cook with the residual heat.
- Plate and top with the picked white crab meat, a wedgeof lemon and chives or spring onion tops if you have decided to use them
- Pour over the shellfish reduction and serve
For the shellfish reduction
- Gently cook the mirepoix herbs and spices in the vegetable oil until soft
- Add the tomato puree, saffron, shellfish bones and fish stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for1½ hours, skimming every so often.
- Strain through a fine meshed sieve and reduce if necessary.
Let us do the hard work for you… save yourself time and buy the shellfish reduction from our fishmonger. About: Fish Union is located on 6 Royal Parade, Chislehurst and is open for dinner Tuesday - Saturday 5-10pm; lunch Wednesday - Saturday 12-4pm; Sunday brunch 12-4pm. For reservations: 020 3323 1642 or www.fishunion.co.uk @fishunionlondon